Bishkek, the capital of the Republic of Kyrgyzstan, with a population of about 1 million, located in the Chui valley at the northern foot of the Kyrgyz Ala-Too on an inclined plain, at an altitude of 700-900 meters above sea level.
Its progenitrix was a fortress of Pishpek that appeared in 1825 – a fortification to protect the caravan routes running from Tashkent across the Chui valley to Issyk-Kul Lake.
After the battle with the Russian imperial troops and Kokand conquerors this fortification was destroyed and became part of the marginal lands of the Russian Empire. In 1897 the Pishpek population listed only 6,600 inhabitants. Pre-revolutionary Pishpek was more like a dusty village of mud houses. With the advent of Soviet rule, the city became rapidly developing. In 1926 he was renamed in honor of the revolutionary and military leader Mikhail Frunze who was born here. In 1991 the city got back its old name in the new interpretation – Bishkek. According to experts, “bishkek” means a stick for beating koumiss – the national drink of sour mare’s milk.
Bishkek – one of the major cities of Central Asia and the largest city in Kyrgyzstan with a population of over 800,000 people, the multinational city with over 80 nationalities.